Judith A. Algeo
Family Law Attorney
Judith A. Algeo is a skilled family law attorney in Bucks County, PA. She represents individuals in all matters of family law including divorce, child custody, child support, spousal support and alimony, and matters of equitable distribution.
“As an experienced Bucks County Family Law attorney, I strive everyday to keep my clients informed and educated about their legal process. It can be a daunting road, but with teamwork and transparency, great things can happen.”
Judith A. Algeo is a skilled family law attorney in Bucks County, PA. She represents individuals in all matters of family law including divorce, child custody, child support, spousal support and alimony, and matters of equitable distribution. With her experience as an adoption attorney, Ms. Algeo handles both termination of parental rights matters and second parent adoptions. Judith was a family therapist in private practice before beginning her legal career.
Ms. Algeo has served Bucks County in many ways over her career. In addition to serving on the Bucks County court’s conflict list to represent parents in child dependency cases, Judith serves on the list of court-approved Bucks County custody mediators. She often represents neglected and abused children as a conflict Guardian Ad Litem. Judith served as vice president of the Board of Directors for Legal Aid of Southeast Pennsylvania (LASP), which offers Free civil legal aid for low-income families in Bucks County. She assists LASP by frequently representing clients in Protection from Abuse proceedings.
Judith is a past president of the Bucks County Bar Association (BCBA) and has served several terms on its Board of Directors. She is a past chair of the BCBA Family Law Section and a former chair of its Pro Bono Committee. You can find her frequently sharing her family law knowledge during CLEs for the BCBA.
Judith has been elected four times to the Board of Supervisors in Warwick Township, Bucks County and has also been elected Chairperson of that board for the last 17 years. She is the past President of the Bucks County Association of Township Officials (BCATO), and currently serves on the Board of Directors.
Affiliations & Honors
- Bucks County Court of Common Pleas
- Conflict List Parents’ Lawyers For Dependency Court, Member, 2008-present
- Conflict List for Guardian Ad Litem Office For Bucks County Office of the Guardian Ad Litem, Member, 2000-present
- Bucks County Bar Association- 1997 – present
- Approved Mediators List, Member, 2007-present
- President, 2006-2007
- President-Elect, 2005-2006
- Secretary, Board of Directors, 2004-2005
- Family Law Section, Member, Chair, 2003
- Woman Lawyers’ Division, Chair, 2000
- Children’s Advocacy Committee, Chair, 2000-2005
- Continuing Legal Education Committee, Chair, 2001-2002
- Pro Bono Committee, Chair, 2008-2009, 2012-2018
- Pro Bono Service Award, 1998 through 2003
- Lawyers Helping Lawyers, Chair, 2000
- Honorable Arthur B. Walsh Jr. Award for Pro Bono Services, 2000
- Budget Committee, 2007-2017
- Women’s Lawyer Division, 1998-present
- Bucks County Bar Foundation
- Member of the Board of Trustees, 2003-2018
- Treasurer, 2010-2013,
- Vice Chair, 2013
- President, 2015
- Secretary, 2017
- Pennsylvania Bar Foundation, Member, 1997-present
- Member of the House of Delegates, 2006-2009
- Pennsylvania Bar Association Pro Bono Service Award, Recipient, 1999, 2001
- American Bar Association, Jean Crowe Award for Pro Bono Services, 2017
- Bucks Count American Inn of Courts, Member, 2011-2019
- American Inns of Courts, Program Award Committee, 2015-2018
- Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania, Member
- Board of Directors, 2008-present
- Chairperson, 2018-2020
- Secretary, 2014-2016
- Vice Chair, 2016-present
- Community Commitment Inc.
- Board of Directors, 2016-2018
- National Network of Runaway & Homeless Youth Services
- Board of Directors, 1985-1988, 2000
- Mid-Atlantic Association of Runaway Youth Services
- Board of Directors, Chair, 1985-1986
- Youth Services Alliance of Pennsylvania, Member
- Interagency Youth Coalition of Bucks Countyu
- Board of Directors, Chair, 1985-1993
- Bucks County Aids Network, Member
- Treasurer, 1988-1990
- Warwick Township, Bucks County, Pennsylvania
- Board of Supervisors, Chairperson, 2003-present
- Zoning Hearing Board, Secretary, 1994-1999
- Youth Aid Panel, 1994-1995
- Hatboro Federal Savings and Loan
- Board of Directors, 2018-present
- Family Law
- Marital Settlement Agreements
- Postnuptial Agreements
- Premarital Agreements
- Separation Agreements
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Binding Arbitration
- Family Law Mediation
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Custody Cases
- Third Party Custody
- Filing for Divorce
- Divorce Over 50
- Equitable Distribution
- Equitable Distribution of Complicated Marital Assets and Liabilities
- Post Divorce Issues
- Protection from Abuse
- Spousal Support, APL and Alimony
- Pennsylvania, 1997
- Temple University, Beasley School of Law, J.D., 1995
- LaSalle University, M.A., 1989
- LaSalle University, B.A., 1978
Guardianship: It’s an Emergency and I Care a Lot…About Your Assets
I recently watched the 2020 Netflix film “I Care a Lot”, the story of a professional court-appointed guardian (played by actress Rosamund Pike) who bilks the assets of dozens of elderly wards. As a Pennsylvania estate planning attorney, I regularly represent family members, alleged incapacitated individuals (AIPs), and guardians. And nothing makes my blood boil […]
Offensive Social Media Posts by Pennsylvania Employees Justify Termination
“If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all,” our parents told us. Two recent Pennsylvania employment termination cases give this same advice to adult social media users. In both cases, courts upheld terminations for employees’ mean-spirited off-duty social media comments. In Carr v. Commonwealth, 230 A.3d 1075 (Pa. 2020), a PennDOT employee […]
- Going Pro-Se? Why Hiring a Lawyer is Crucial to Your Case
- How can a business obtain trademark protection when its own name generically describes its goods or services?
- What Happens to A Deceased Relative’s Debt When They Die?
- 2021 Child Tax Credit: Which Divorced Parent Gets It?
- Do Workers’ Comp Benefits Apply When Employees WFH (Work From Home)?
- Social Media and Divorce – 5 Tips to Follow Right Now
- How Might the Pandemic and The CARES Act Impact a Divorcing Couple’s Business?
- The Emerald Ash Borer Killed a Tree on My Property Line. Who is Responsible For Its Removal?